Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Big screens need bigger pockets

Phablets....are they phones or are they tablets?

I went to Verizon yesterday with my parents to assist them upgrading their phones. They both had Droid Razrs. A perfectly suitable phone for their needs. Camera, email, and nice display. They both had mentioned that they (and myself) miss the perfect and wonderful keyboard off of our old Tours we all had. Verizon had the Droid 4 on special for FREE with two year contract. Thought it was done and done! As they we're looking at all the phones the noticed....the Note. (Noticed the NOTE. Get it?)

They're fascination for a physical keyboard was now turned to a massive screen. 5.7" to be exact. Much bigger than the Droid 4's screen. Even if you hold the Note 3 horizontally, the on screen keyboard is bigger than the Droid physical keyboard.

I began playing with the display model and I have to say, it's a fantastic device. I hate TouchWiz, as mentioned in several other posts. That could easily be changed with a launcher though. The S pen functionality is super! Draw a box for quick access to popular apps? Sold. Jot notes down and have the phone convert them into contacts or phone numbers? Brilliant. Fake leather backing? Improvement over cheap plasticy feeling backs like S4.

When we got home with the phones, I read on The Verge and CNET that HTC announced the HTC One Max. A 5.9" screen monster with the same gorgeous HTC One design and aluminum body that made it so great. Spec wise it's the same as the One but with expandable memory, bigger screen, and oh yes...a finger print scanner. Android can do it too Apple.

I still don't understand why phones are tip toeing into tablet territory. It appeals to some, but not me. I have my Droid Maxx and it has a 5" screen. Seems plenty to me. I still want to be able to put my phone in my pocket. Not have to carry it or put it in a bag.

The Note 3 is a fantastic device with the latest internals. Better processor, three gigs of ram, gorgeous display, etc. For my parents, it may be more phone then they can handle. Being Samsung, all the gestures and add-ons will appeal to them. They won't be able to appreciate the pure power that phone has.

I watched them play with them when I got home from class last night and I have to say, it was so much fun. They were like kids on Christmas once they discovered something new they could do. Granted, I'm going to have to be tech support for the rest of my life for them, but it keeps bringing faces like I saw last night, it's worth it.

That's why I'm passionate about technology. Bringing people together and making an impactful difference. Now the bad thing is...I want a Note 3. Dang.

Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment